Adobe Summit 2013–Presentation by Salman Khan: Learn almost anything for free
Posted by mikeg on March 7, 2013
Sal presented the inspirational and extremely compelling story of www.khanacademy.org. One of the best talks of the summit even though not directly connected to Adobe products but does talk about important of tracking student’s progress
Mission statement: Learn almost anything for free.
With a library of over 4,000 videos on everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and hundreds of skills to practice, we’re on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace.
We are a donor-supported not-for-profit and would not be possible without the generous support of users everywhere. In particular, we’d like to thank The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ann & John Doerr, the O’Sullivan Foundation, Reed Hastings, Google, and the Windsong Trust for their strong support of our mission.
Youtube video: http://youtu.be/gM95HHI4gLk
Data shared during the presentation:
- 75 m unique students
- 240 m videos watched
- 1B exercises completed
- 20K physical classrooms using it
- Available in multiple languages
- 24 employees and growing
A few interesting points:
- Bill Gates endorsed and supported, used with his kids
- “Got over the idea that it wasn’t my idea” – have to remember this quote, very true
- The power of video is that student can watch as many times as needed without criticism from tutor/teacher
- Tracking data proves that students considered “mediocre” given enough time to review and “fill gaps” can become best students